Greenwich Symphony History
In the 1940s a group of amateur musicians began playing together in Greenwich. Several concerts under the baton of Kenneth Wendrich led to the founding of the Greenwich Philharmonia in 1958, with Catherine Converse as first president. Marian Jeffrey succeeded Mrs. Converse in 1967. Under her leadership the orchestra began a steady rise in growth and prestige. John Nelson became music director in 1967. The orchestra – now fully professional and 85 strong – was awarded its first grants from the Connecticut Commission on the Arts and from local corporations and benefactors, enabling it to expand the season to five dual Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon performances. The Philharmonia Auxiliary, headed by Dorothy Gluckmann, established its annual award to a gifted high school senior, and began to serve, support, and promote the orchestra in a variety of important ways.
In 1987 the Greenwich Arts Council and Department of Parks and Recreation sponsored the first annual “Greenwich Pops into Summer” free outdoor concert, presented by the GSO and Greenwich Choral Society.